Marks & Spencer
St Michael Logo
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The original firm was a chain of "penny bazaars", founded by a Russian-born Polish-Jewish immigrant, Michael Marks in Leeds with a loan of £5 from Issac Dewhirst, a wholesaler. The site of the first stall is still marked to this day, with a green and gold commemorative clock in Leeds Kirkgate Market. His first full store was opened in 1894 at Stretford Road, Hulme, in Manchester. Marks entered into a partnership with Tom Spencer who was working as Dewhirst cashier. Dewhirst went into manufacturing and remains the biggest supplier to M&S. M&S became a household name thanks to the efforts of Marks' son, Simon Marks, and his friend, Israel Sieff.